Monday, June 28, 2010

That's what a hamburger's all about

During the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of high school I stopped eating red meat.

It was for no other reason than "just because," really. My dad had moved to California a couple years prior and at some point had given up red meat because everyone in California doesn't eat something, and I think he wanted to test his will power. So that summer I decided I would, too.

I learned that being a "poultritarian" is rather nice. It allows for nearly all the smugness of being a vegetarian, but with a lot more menu options. Plus, no worries about Mad Cow disease!

In the first few months I had some cravings--and even some relapses--but I quickly realized I could live without red meat. Soon the cravings became rare (ha!), and the ones I did have usually involved unexpected and rather disgusting things like Arby's roast beef sandwiches or Taco Bell. But I never gave in, and never really missed it.

Today, though, after not having eaten red meat for 17 years, I had a hamburger.


Why? Well, it wasn't to satisfy a craving as much as a curiosity.

You see, I had never had an In-N-Out Burger. To most Southern Californians--even some vegetarians I know--that would be considered blasphemy. In-N-Out has a cult following among...well, just about everyone. When people leave the west, In-N-Out is their first stop as soon as they're back within range. It's that kind of place.

When we started preparing for this journey of ours, I began to wonder what I was missing out on. How could I leave California without ever having tasted one of the state's unofficial-official foods?

Plus I realized that eating red meat again would make sense if we're going to experience the culinary treasures of different regions. What if I want a buffalo burger in Wyoming? I mean, I can't imagine that I would want a buffalo burger in Wyoming, but shouldn't I leave the option open?

I also know from past road trips that not all parts of the country are hospitable to non-beef-eaters. Once at a diner in Shamrock, Texas, I ordered the only "safe" option on the menu: cheese enchiladas. They came smothered in meat sauce.

So, it made sense to start eating beef again, and if I was going to do it, it would start at In-N-Out. Steve and I had talked about going for several weeks and finally decided to today. (Steve hadn't eaten red meat since we started seriously dating, so this was a big step for him, too.)

Before we got there I perused In-N-Out's "secret menu" online. I didn't want to look like a novice, after all. I ordered a cheeseburger with grilled onions and pickles (plus the standard toppings of lettuce, tomato, and "sauce"), and an order of fries, cooked "light-well" (more fried than normal, but not completely incinerated).

I half-expected that I'd realize how tasty beef is and devour the whole thing in one bite. I half-expected I'd throw up. Neither happened.

The burger was good. Very good, actually, especially for fast-food. Not "oh-my god-I-can't-believe-I've-gone-17-years-without-eating-this" good, but "I-see-the-appeal-and-will-likely-partake-again-someday" good.

One chapter in my life closes, and a new, higher-cholesterol one begins. I don't imagine that beef will become a regular staple of my diet, but when a craving strikes, I will sate it. When a regional dish beckons, I will answer the call.

Rocky Mountain Oysters, though, are definitely out.

4 comments:

  1. So funny...the picture you posted looks just like a picture Lenny took on our In-N-Out excursion in Arizona. I'm grateful to always have them there when I need them, which is every so often. BTW, particularly enjoyed that they covered the cheese enchiladas in meat sauce. Man Wells would never do such a thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are adorable, Jennie! My Dennis LOVES In-N-Out, and I can't stand it. But if I *have* to go, a chocolate shake goes down pretty well, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennie:
    In case you're wondering who I am, it's Laura's mom, Jean. She told me about your plans and your blog and I couldn't wait to follow your adventure. Your story about red meat and In-N-Out really hit home. I have been avoiding red meat too, and I really do miss good old In-N-Out. They were the best! But a lovingly-prepared Boca burger makes my tummy very happy right now. And good for you for insisting on child restraints while traveling! Your children's safety must come first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Laura's Mom! Thanks for reading! :)

    Linda- We might be in Phoenix in a few weeks. We are DEFINITELY stopping at Man Wells.

    Rebecca- I was cleaning out a bookshelf yesterday and found the change of address card you sent when you moved to Iowa City. Guess I can throw that away now, huh?

    ReplyDelete